Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Once and Future King (10)

T.H. White. New York: G.P. Putnam’s Sons. 1939.


Why read it? Merlyn teaches King Arthur the art of leadership. Part of his training was in learning to live with the animals and gain their perspective. Finally, he founded the Round Table. Merlyn is a most amazing character. A delightful and imaginative tale of what was to become known as Camelot. And a great deal of wisdom.


Ideas:

Arthur: “I ought to have rooted Might out altogether, instead of trying to adapt it.” p. 423.


Lionel: “Give me a moral man who insists on doing the right thing all the time, and I will show you a tangle which an angel couldn’t get out of.” p. 432.


“…the world was beautiful if you were beautiful, and…you couldn’t get unless you gave…you had to give without wanting to get.” p. 453.


“He paused, still doubtful, half recognizing the moment as a cross-road of his life.” p. 454.


Lancelot: “Jenny, I have all my life been in another sin, the worst of all…pride that made me try to be the best knight in the world.” p. 455.


To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment