Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Walden or, Life in the Woods (3)

Henry David Thoreau. New York: Literary Classics of the United States, Inc. 1854 (1985).


Why read it? The desire to live close to nature without dependence on material goods. Describes the changing seasons. Offers interesting reflections on modern life.


Quotes and Ideas.

“The whole of my winters as well as most of my summers, I had free and clear for study.” p. 377.


“For my greatest skill has been to want but little.” p. 377.


“…but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father’s or his mother’s or his neighbor’s instead.” p. 378.


“If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life….” p. 381.


“For a man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.” p. 387.


“They say that characters were engraven on the bathing tub of King Tching-Thang to the effect: ‘Renew thyself completely each day, do it again, and again, and forever again.’ ” p. 393.


“I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.” p. 394.


“To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts.” p. 394.


To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment